Monday, January 30, 2006

Only 99 days...

...until Maya is scheduled to arrive.

The time is passing so quickly. She hasn't even been born, and I already feel like these experiences are slipping away...Sooner than we can imagine, she'll squirm too much to be held like a baby. Then she won't need a crib anymore. We'll send her to kindergarten. Elementary school will be a rapid blurr, and then she'll be a teenager...a college freshman...an independent woman...a wife? a mother?

What is that like? To be so incredibly wrapped up in another life? To measure your own life cycles and seasons by another person. My identity is already altered...so that people, even strangers, immediately ask questions like...
"how far along are you?" "when are you due?" "do you know if it's a boy or a girl?"

Instead of..."what is your name?" "what do you do?" "where do you work?"

And I don't mind. I'd rather answer their questions than talk about my 'other' life. I love telling them that I'm 26 weeks...almost to the third trimester...due May 9th. That I have a little girl named Maya.


Maya,
I can't wait to see you.
It is so hard to think of anything but your birth.
Your dad and I love this anticipation.
We talk to you all time and try to imagine what you will really be like.
But we don't want to rush you.
We'll try to savour every moment of our life before you join us more tangibly..
..and we'll try to remember how this wonderful ache feels.
Don't grow up too fast.
I love you.
your mom

No comments: