Sunday, March 19, 2006

a weekend of showers...

Right now, the chaos in our house is making me rather insane. Ryan has been working every night this week and all weekend to try to finish our kitchen. He patched a large damaged peice in our ceiling, painted the kitchen, and is now in the process of laying ceramic tile. He is amazing, and I am so grateful for him.

But while we wait for the finished product, all of our dishes, appliances, drawers, and food is covering every surface of our dining room and spilling into the living room. The laundry is piling up...while the route to the laundry room is completely sealed off in plastic (to protect me and Maya from paint fumes and construction dust). The only place that I can sit in peace without feeling frantic about the mess is here...


We just came home from Maya's shower. Her Aunt Andrea and friend Kim (and Aunt Marianne, Aunt Kelly, and lots of other friends) gave her a very fun shower (boys were allowed too...though I don't think they really begged to come). It was so fun to have Ryan there too, opening presents with me. She got lots of fun presents...toys and clothes, Baby Monet DVD, blankets, a bathtime gift basket, sippy cups, baby spoons, and a beautiful soft swing! (it swings back and forth and front to back)


The whole weekend has been overwhelming and so fun. Yesterday was her first shower... a family shower. I've never been able to have huge family gatherings with lots of cousins, aunts, grandparents. I only have one aunt and uncle on each side. I love the cousins I have and always look forward to spending time with them, but they've always lived far away....and our gatherings are far too infrequent. Since I've been part of the Corbin family, it has been so fun to have extended family....LOTS of extended family at every holiday and special event. Maya is so loved. And quite spoiled. Her Great Grandmother crocheted a beautiful sundress for her...with buttons from her Great Great Great Grandmother's button box. She got so many beautiful clothes, books, really fun puppet toys, and all kinds of things to help us take care of her. Her Aunt Jo had this highchair shipped to our house.
I can't wait to see it...though she won't be quite big enough to use it for a while:)

We are so blessed...to have a baby. And to have so many friends and family members that have shown us overwhelming love and generosity. Every day, we are amazed to have Maya. That she is growing inside of me. That we are parents. And that we could be holding her in just a few weeks.

No comments: