Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I have three pillows.

And they each perform unique and essential functions. Despite my narcoleptic tendencies while riding in a car, I must have these three pillows to sleep comfortably in a bed.
There's my firm 'head pillow', my slightly-less-firm 'leg pillow', and my beloved 'fluffy.'

I don't think I had any one particular 'comfort object' as a child...no 'blankie,' or 'soft,' or special 'bear.' Maya has several, There's 'white soft' and 'pink soft.' 'Loopy.' 'Lyssa,' 'Amy,' and 'Sasha.' 'Monkey.' And recently...'hairbrush'. (Yes, most nights...all of these objects are in bed with her.)

As an adult, I think I may have developed a similar kind of attachment. My 'Fluffy' is irreplaceable. It comes with me when I travel. It's really hard to fall asleep without holding it (I think this is mostly because it helps keep my shoulders and arms supported). But this perfectly soft and airy pillow still gives me nightmares. I think it's the frightening new responsibility of another (terrifyingly fragile) life...and the inevitable lack of sleep that comes with any newborn...but it's happening to me again just like it did two years ago.

No comments: