Friday, August 25, 2006

it actually felt like a real hug...

One thing about newborns... they don't really respond lovingly or appreciatively to all that you do for them.

I've never before experienced love so overwhelming and complete and painful without even a smile in return. No one has ever been so unaware and ungrateful of my love and constant attention. And still, it is one of the most beautiful and rewarding kinds of love there is. Risky and ultimately heart-breaking, I'm sure. But unbelievably fulfilling.

Maya's smiles did come early. We actually saw few rare but genuinely responsive smiles...at about three weeks. Now she is remarkably social...smiling and 'talking', even laughing at just about anyone who pays her a bit of attention.

But today, instead of staring transfixed at the camera and computer moniter during our daily photobooth game, Maya looked at me, grabbed my face, and smothered me with wet 'kisses' and bubbles.

She is really my daughter!?!




2 comments:

Lindsey said...

How adorable! I love these pictures. . . they really capture a lot.

Kate Rudd said...

this made my day! i checked maya's blog, only to find a treasure of *several* posts and many priceless pictures! :)
these ones are my favorites..she loves her momma.
:)